There are mainly two types of road rollers for compacting asphalt pavement: tire rollers and double-steel wheel vibratory rollers. Their characteristics are as follows
Pneumatic tyred rollers
• It is suitable for surface compaction of asphalt concrete, which can reduce wheel marks and uneven potholes on the road surface, and improve the smoothness and aesthetics of the road surface.
• Simultaneously deformed with the asphalt pavement, the contact area is large, and it has the function of kneading, so the compaction effect is good.
• It can recompress asphalt concrete to improve its compactness and strength.
• It can compact the asphalt pavement of bridges, culverts, and other structures without causing damage to the structure.
Double drum vibratory roller
• Applicable to the compaction of middle and bottom layers of asphalt concrete, which can increase its density and bearing capacity.
• Using the combination of vibration force and static gravity, it can crush and break larger and more complex pavement materials.
• It can be adjusted for different types and thicknesses of asphalt concrete, and the appropriate vibration frequency and amplitude can be selected.
• It can compact hard-to-access places such as grooves and corners without leaving any dead space.
What is the difference between tire rollers and tandem vibratory rollers?
1. The wheels of tire rollers are pneumatic rubber tires, while the wheels of tandem vibratory rollers are solid wheels made of steel.
2. The tire-type road roller can only be compacted by its own weight, while the double-drum vibratory road roller can be compacted by the vibration force generated by the engine drive.
3. Wheeled rollers are mainly used for surface compaction of asphalt concrete, while double-drum vibratory rollers are mainly used for the middle and bottom layers of asphalt concrete.
4. Wheeled rollers can recompact asphalt concrete to improve its compactness and strength, while double steel wheel vibratory rollers generally do not recompress to avoid damaging the structure of asphalt concrete.
Which roller is better for compacting asphalt pavement?
Which roller is more suitable for compacting asphalt pavement should be selected according to specific engineering conditions and requirements. Generally speaking, both tire-type rollers and tandem vibratory rollers can be used to compact asphalt pavement, but each has advantages and limitations. Here are some suggestions for reference:
1. If the thickness of the asphalt concrete is relatively large and layered compaction is required, the middle layer and the bottom layer can be compacted first with a double-drum vibratory roller, and then the surface layer can be re-compacted with a tire roller to improve the road surface. Flatness and aesthetics.
2. If the thickness of the asphalt concrete is small and only needs to be compacted once, it can be directly compacted with a tire roller to reduce the wheel marks and uneven potholes on the road surface.
3. If the asphalt concrete material is large and complex and needs to be rolled and crushed, it can be compacted with a double-drum vibratory roller to increase its density and bearing capacity.
4. If the asphalt concrete construction site is narrow or has structures, and it is necessary to compact trenches, corners, bridges, culverts, etc., then it can be compacted with a double-drum vibratory roller to avoid dead ends.